About the Summit
We are pleased to announce our inaugural African Diaspora Biotech Summit 2017, which will take place at the University of Cambridge, UK on Tuesday, 4th April 2017. The African Diaspora Biotech Summit 2017 is a flagship initiative of JR Biotek Foundation. It was developed to inspire early-career life science and biotech professionals (including research scientists, innovators, entrepreneurs, policy experts, and present and future bio-industry leaders) from Africa and the diaspora to help find practical solutions that will contribute to Africa’s sustainable development.
The Summit will bring together, 70 students and early-/mid-career life science and biotech professionals (including research scientists, entrepreneurs, policy experts, and bio-industry leaders) from Africa and the diaspora to discuss the current state of Africa’s biotech industry. Our goal is to create a unique platform for Africa’s future leaders and key stakeholders, especially those in the diaspora, to better understand the challenges and opportunities in Africa’s biotech and life science sector, and how they may be involved in finding practical solutions that will help build the continent’s bioeconomy.
The key objectives of the Summit are:
- To create a unique platform for Africa’s next generation of biotech/life science professionals and bio-industry leaders to connect with, learn from one another, and establish collaborative relationships that will accelerate the growth of Africa’s biotech/life science industry and the bioeconomy;
- To address the challenges and opportunities in Africa’s biotech/life science industry, and inspire the African diaspora to become more involved in finding practical solutions to the problems hampering bioscience education, capacity building, research innovation and commercialization in the continent;
- To encourage Africa’s present leaders and key stakeholders to invest in building a competitive African biotech and life science sector so as to grow the bioeconomy, and create opportunities for employment, investment and sustained socio-economic growth.
The Summit will include panel-led discussions and keynote addresses, which will set the stage for discussions about the urgent need to strengthen biotech and bioscience education, training and capacity building; research innovation, and biotech commercialization in Africa.
Who should apply?
We are looking for early- and mid-career biotech and life sciences professionals, including research scientists, post-doctoral researchers, academics, biotech entrepreneurs, innovators, policy experts, and graduate students from Africa and the diaspora to join us at our inaugural African Diaspora Biotech Summit 2017. Selected applicants should demonstrate:
- Strong intellectual ability, capacity for leadership, and a commitment to help countries in Africa achieve sustainable development through biotech and life science education and capacity building, research innovation, and commercialization;
- Their knowledge of the current state of Africa’s biotech and life science industry, including its present challenges, opportunities for growth, and potential solutions. Selected candidates should be able to propose, at least one solution or idea that can contribute to the growth of Africa’s bioeconmy and improve lives, if implemented.
4 major areas to be discussed at the Summit are:
- Improving agricultural productivity and food security in sub-Saharan Africa between now and 2050
- Reforming Africa’s tertiary education system to make it globally competitive.
- Policy development and implementation to facilitate sustainable development in African nations
- The role and contribution of the African diaspora in developing Africa’s bioeconomy
- 7th January 2017: Summit application opens
- 28th February 2017: Application closes
- 7th March 2017: Selected candidates informed
- 4th April 2017: The African Diaspora Biotech Summit
For more details and application visit their website at http://www.jrbiotekfoundation.org/african-diaspora-summit-2017/