Application now open for Commonwealth Writers Paid Internship 2019 in London
Apply for the Commonwealth Writers Internship 2019 in London. Commonwealth Foundation is looking for an Intern to work in the exciting arena of Commonwealth Writers. The internship will be London based and support activities of the programme, in particular the two websites, www.commonwealthwriters.org and www.addastories.org, and various projects including the Commonwealth Short Story Prize and craft development initiatives.
It is expected for the intern to also work across the organisation, particularly with Knowledge, Learning & Communications Intern in respect to Communications.
The individual should have strong writing skills, research ability and experience, experience of working with websites and various social media tools, ability to meet tight deadlines, Microsoft Office knowledge and good administration skills.
They believe that stories help people make sense of the world, and in the transformative power of creative expression in all its forms.
Commonwealth Writers is a cultural programme within the Commonwealth Foundation. The Foundation is an international organisation established by Heads of Government in support of the belief that the Commonwealth is as much an association of peoples as it is of governments. It is the Commonwealth agency for civil society; a unique, stand-alone organisation established by, funded and reporting to governments.
The Commonwealth Foundation is an international organisation established by Heads of Government in support of the belief that the Commonwealth is as much an association of peoples as it is of governments. It is the Commonwealth agency for civil society; a unique, stand-alone organisation established by, funded and reporting to governments.
The Foundation is dedicated to strengthening people’s participation in all aspects of public dialogue, to act together and learn from each other to build democratic societies.
Ultimately, the Foundation seeks to ensure that policy and government institutions are more effective contributors to development through the influence of civic voices.
The Commonwealth Foundation is one of the Commonwealth’s three intergovernmental agencies alongside the Commonwealth Secretariat and the Commonwealth of Learning.
This status is conferred by Commonwealth Heads of Government and requires the highest standards of accountability. They meet these standards through the effective and efficient servicing of Board and the committees that it has established.
The Foundation is principally funded by assessed contributions made by its 46 member governments. The assessed contributions, along with other income such as project-specific grants to the Foundation, provide the resources for the annual budget which is approved by the Executive Committee and endorsed by the Board of Governors.
- 1 year duration
- £50 per day
- A travel allowance (commuting to and from the office) to a maximum of £20 per day is available to an intern who lives outside of London. London travel is not covered by the Foundation.
- As an internship this does not constitute employment with the Foundation. There are no payments for bank holiday, privilege days or sickness. There is a limited holiday allowance.
- The Intern is included fully in any external training opportunities (including conference attendance) and appropriate internal learning & development programmes.
- Assistance is given where possible to aid the Intern in securing a permanent role in another organisation at the end of their internship. If there was a suitable vacancy at the Foundation, the intern can apply, however there is no guarantee of a permanent role at the end of internship.
- The individual should have
- strong writing skills
- research ability and experience
- experience of working with websites and various social media tools
- ability to meet tight deadlines
- Microsoft Office knowledge and
- good administration skills.
- Under UK employment law you must have the right to live in the UK either by having a nationality from a qualifying member country of the European Union or by possessing an appropriate visa.
- The Foundation is unable to sponsor any visa applications, so this must be in place at time of applying.
Eligible Regions: Commonwealth Countries