Application Closes: October 31 2017
About the Award: The SAMIP Innovation Challenge is for South African projects and organisations that are building news and information products that engage and inform local/underserved communities, by:
- searching for new ways to connect people with information,
- exploring new business models, distribution mechanisms and/or revenue generation opportunities, or
- creating platforms within existing news outlets for citizen reporting through mobile technology
- new projects just getting off the ground, for which the applicant has initial evidence of a user need.
- specific and actionable ideas for a novel product or service – product or working demo doesn’t necessarily have to be built yet – funding can be used for MVP. (Capability requirement)
- products or services that have shown initial success/viability, and applicants are looking to scale up
Selection Criteria: Projects should address one or more of the following focus areas:
- Digital Native Products: New approaches to collecting news and information, and to reporting, storytelling and distribution that embrace the possibilities of technology
- Reaching rural communities: Innovative approaches to reach and empower people outside of major urban areas, and those generally underserved by existing news media.
- Engaging people in official languages that are underserved: Attempts to engage and distribute content to communities in vernacular languages that are underserved.
- Technology innovation for distribution: New media technology for local news that can find ways to distribute all forms of media in a cost-effective and sustainable way.
- New Revenue opportunities: Innovative solutions to revenue challenges that media companies face – how can we open up new revenue streams to make media organisations more sustainable and independent.
- Transition to digital: Finding and implementing solutions, products or processes that assist legacy media to transform their businesses.
Value of Award:
- A total of ZAR 3 million of grant funding is available to support independent media (covering existing companies, non-profits, and new ventures) in South Africa.
- This is the initial disbursement of the total funding available through SAMIP – the South Africa Media Innovation Program.
- SAMIP is a 3-year long program that will provide capacity building and financing to independent media in South Africa.
- The aim of the program is to promote innovation within the media sector, and also foster new voices.
- Winners will be selected by the SAMIP Advisory Panel, subject to approval by the MDIF Board of Directors.
- Cash Prize: Up to ZAR 500,000 (*depending on budgets, we will consider smaller projects that apply)
- In addition, winners will be admitted to SAMIP and benefit from capacity building:
- on-going strategic advice, (expert advice)
- tailored one-to-one consulting, (mentorship)
- targeted group training designed to help participants’ financial viability and audience reach (training)
- further funding, if approved by Advisory Panel, based on favourable initial results
Eligible Countries: South Africa
Duration of Program: 3 Years
How to Apply: Apply now
Award Providers: South African Media Innovation Program (SAMIP)