Application Closes: March 31, 2018
The Asian Institute of Technology (AIT) promotes technological change and sustainable development in the Asian-Pacific region through higher education, research and outreach. Established in Bangkok in 1959, AIT has become a leading regional postgraduate institution and is actively working with public and private sector partners throughout the region and with some of the top universities in the world.
The Government of Japan is offering Doctoral scholarships in Remote Sensing and Geographic Information Systems of the School of Engineering and Technology (SET). The Remote Sensing and Geographic Information Systems (RS&GIS) Field of Study (FoS) offers graduate program leading to Master’s and Doctoral degrees. They also offer training and certificate programs for capacity building in RS&GIS and it’s application in many fields.The faculty members are involved in leading Research in all areas of Remote Sensing and GIS, covering such diverse areas as Space System Engineering, Image Processing for Environmental Data Analysis, Disaster Mitigation: Earthquake, Erosion control, Terrain modeling, Automated Mapping, Remote Sensing and GIS Applications, 3D Modeling, Online Spatial Database System, Modeling of Geomorphic Processes, Digital Elevation Models (DEMs), Applications of Remote Sensing and GIS in Resources Management, Photogrammetry, Computer Mapping, NOAA Data Receiving and Processing, Automated Mosaicings, Optical RS, Web based GIS, Environmental Information Extraction and Validation, Social Environmental Change detection, Automatic Pattern Recognition, Remote Sensing and GIS development etc.
The Scholarship covers:
- Tuition and registration fees (maximum 6 semesters)
- Bursary and accommodation costs
- Visa fee
- Medical insurance
- Student Union fee
- Research support
- One round-trip international air travel-economy class (for non-Thai applicants)
- Have strong academic records (both undergraduate and graduate) and normally hold a four-year Bachelor’s Degree, and a Master’s Degree, preferably with a combination of course and thesis work, from an institution of good standing, acceptable to AIT. The minimum GPA requirement for admission to the Doctoral program is 3.50 or equivalent at the Master’s degree level.
- Submit a brief outline of dissertation research proposal including the required research facilities, if necessary.
- Receive a written confirmation that a faculty member at AIT is available and willing to supervise.
- All prospective students must submit English proficiency test scores that meet the minimum requirement for admission at the Asian Institute of Technology.
Eligible Regions: Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar, Indonesia, Vietnam, Thailand, Philippines and Malaysia, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Nepal, India, Pakistan and Sri Lanka